When my brothers and I were kids, we used to count down the days, hours and minutes to Friday. We knew come evening, dad would take us for a night of bowling followed by the cheesiest pizzas for dinner. Lucky for us, mum and dad kept us active – from tae kwon do classes during the week, 10km runs in the morning, cross-country practices after school, and various sports throughout the week – we did not have to worry about our waistlines.
There comes a time when your metabolism starts to slow down and all of a sudden it takes 100x the training to work off a simple slice of pizza. My search to satisfy my childhood pizza cravings in a vegan-friendly way has led me to the perfect pizza recipe that cuts out all the fat. The pizza dough is crispy (love thin crusts!) and rich in fibre and protein. It’s surprisingly filling without leaving you feeling heavy or bloated.
Check out the easiest and crispiest pizza recipe below! Bon Appetit!
- 2 cups and 2 tablespoons of gluten-free self-raising flour
- 2 flaxseed eggs
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅔ cups lukewarm water
- Prepare your flaxseed eggs by mixing 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseeds with 6 tablespoons of water. Let this sit for 10 minutes.
- Once the flaxseed eggs are ready, in a medium sized bowl, mix all the ingredients together, then knead the mixture to form a ball.
- Cover the bowl with a cloth, then place it in a warm location for 15 minutes to allow the ball of dough to expand.
- While waiting for the dough to rise, pre-heat the oven to 360°F / 180°C. Lightly brush olive oil on a baking pan, then sprinkle the 2 tablespoons of gluten-free flour on top.
- When the dough has risen, place the ball of dough in the middle of the baking pan.
- Using your fingers or a rolling pin, spread the dough thinly across the pan.
- Bake the pizza crust for 10 minutes, and do not worry if it cracks.
- After 10 minutes, remove from the oven and spread your pizza sauce and place your favourite toppings!
- For a cheesy flavour, you can add vegan cheese or sprinkle nutritional yeast on top.
- Bake the pizza for 20 minutes. Serve when it is hot and fresh from the oven.
ENJOY & SHARE
This pizza recipe is perfect for serving at parties or accompanying you on a Netflix binge. What did you do whilst eating your pizza?
Don’t forget to share your results by tagging @faimfoodie on Instagram with the hashtag, #FaimFoodie!