After fighting vicious carnivores working to take my blog down, I’m so incredibly happy to be back! To mark this joyous occasion, I am sharing the fluffiest, softest and sweetest blueberry date pancake recipe. No word of a lie, it’s what dreams are made out of. Friends, I’m confident you’ll earn infinite “pancake points” for serving your significant others these blueberry date pancakes as breakfast in bed.
If you don’t have a skillet at home, turn it into a pan cake! You heard that right, folks. Pour the batter right into a rectangular cake pan, let it bake for 30 minutes then serve with the finest maple syrup on top. Yummy!
I was inspired by dates, a fruit which has incredible health benefits and works as an “egg-cellent” egg replacer 😉 Plus, now that Ramadhan, the Islamic month of fasting, is over, I also wanted to find ways to use classic iftaar, the breaking of the fast, ingredients into my every day diet. When Muslims break their fasts in the evening, they start with dates and a glass of milk – a tradition continued from the time of the Prophet Muhammed (Peace Be Upon Him). To learn more about the health benefits of fasting, check out this introductory post and follow up post that I wrote a while back.
From my next recipe post onwards, there will be a change to my blog. I will be sharing recipes with less narrative and focus instead on the accompanying images. I’ve always been in love with minimalism as a design concept, so I thought I would incorporate this into my posts, as well. This also benefits you, providing quicker access to recipes with photos to compare end results.
Wishing everyone who celebrated Eid, the occasion marking the end of the month of Ramadhan, love, light and endless positive vibes!
I am dedicating my blueberry date pancake recipe to my sister, my friend and the Queen of all things sugary and sweet, the Bakress in a Dress! You must follow Nouda for the best in dessert porn, and she also takes inquiries! I also believe that a person’s character is translated into the food they make, therefore it’s no wonder that Nouda’s creations are as sweet as herself. Check out her Instagram, @bakressinadress. You won’t regret it… until you drool all over your phone and it needs to be replaced because the rice trick didn’t work.
- 1.5 cups gluten-free flour
- 3.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1.5 cups almond milk (unsweetened)
- 1 cup dates blended with ¼ cup water
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil or vegan butter
- 1 cup blueberries
- Sift dry ingredients into a medium sized bowl
- Make a well in the middle, then add maple syrup, almond milk, date paste and butter/coconut oil.
- Mix the ingredients together until the batter is smooth.
- Fold the blueberries into the batter.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of coconut oil on your skillet on medium-low heat.
- Pour ½ cup of batter and cook for 1 - 2 minutes on each side (until golden brown), depending on the strength of your stove.
- Serve as is, or with a bit of vegan butter and maple syrup on top.
ENJOY & SHARE
Did you serve your blueberry date pancakes in bed, or part of an epic vegan breakfast?
Share your results by tagging @faimfoodie on Instagram with the hashtag, #FaimFoodie.